Monday, 22 July 2013

Tutorial Monday - Using Hero Arts inks


Today I am going to show you a few uses of Hero Arts Dye Inks.
 I have two Shadow Inks - the muted 'soft canteloupe' and the mid-tone 'cornflower'
 and the darker Dye Ink 'Brown Bark'. These three colours compliment each other beautifully!


1. Just Plain Stamping

I am going to use mainly acrylic stamps from the following stamp sets:-


Here I have added stamps to my Fiskars Stamp Press -
 I find this an excellent way of positioning stamps to stamp on a straight line
 or to repeat in the same configuration.
I am stamping on plain white card to demonstrate the colours.




Here are the images...when wet they look a little uneven and splotchy -
 as they dry, they smooth out giving a consistent colour and a less vibrant look. 



The inks are great for solid background stamps as in the flower
 but are also good for text and more detailed stamps. 



2. Stamping with different colours across the stamp


The stamp is placed on an acrylic block and then ink applied in turn from each pad
 making a gradation of colour across it.  



3. Tone on tone and distressing

Stamping the ink on a toning cardstock gives a very pleasing effect!
This time the stamp is placed on an acrylic block of an appropriate size -
 a small stamp requires a small block.



Each flower has been stamped on a toning cardstock and then the punched circle
 has been distressed around the edges using the same ink pad and a distressing tool.



4. Distressed background and watermark

Using the distressing tool and each ink pad in turn, colour is added to the 'topnote' shape. 
The foam base of the tool is applied to the ink and then using a circular motion
 and starting on the non-stick mat colour is gradually applied.



This could then be overstamped or a watermark added.
To make a watermark a suitable stamp is inked with Versamark or another 'sticky' embossing ink.
 It is then spritzed with water and applied to the background.
 After drying with a heat gun a pattern will appear.



5. Stamping a background

Using a suitable stamp the Shadow inks can be used as a muted background
 e.g. this lovely Hero Arts Lotus Background stamp


I have used 'soft canteloupe' and a wood block mounted stamp for this background.
 As the shadow inks are waterproof, water colour paints could be now added or it could be overstamped.


6. Overstamping

Here I have prepared a background using a Gelli plate and acrylics but the backgrounds suggested above would work equally well.
I have used one of my favourite rubber stamps on a  large acrylic block.
This is an Indigo Blu stamp called 'Blazing Poppies' and I have used the Brown Bark to stamp it!



So, I have shown you some techniques you might use with these inks - 
but what to do with these small samples - 
well maybe a card like this: -

-

Finally I would like to share with you a picture of some of my cards
 stamped with 'soft canteloupe' -
 I think this is my favourite ink pad at the moment and certainly
 the poppy stamps are my favourite stamps!




I hope you like my ideas!
Happy Crafting!


Materials Used

Ink Pads
Hero Hues Shadow Ink - Soft Canteloupe
Hero Hues Shadow Ink - Cornflower

Stamp Sets
Pebbles Happy Birthday

Tools
Big Shot and Topnote Die
Non-stick Mat
Distressing Tools
Fiskars Stamp Press
Circular punch

Sundry items of cardstock, stamps and embellishments from my stash

7 comments:

  1. Great Tutorial and safe journey back to the UK Susan.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tutorial Susan thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant tutorial, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Susan, what a fabulous tutorial, and I forgot I had the stamp press, would be good to use that, as my shaky hands let me down with stamping...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really inspiring stuff!!! This post is fantastic, and equally fantastic is this conversation thread. This information regarding printers and different category of printers & its machinary is so inspiring! Awesome Work. Keep it Up!
    Inkjet Ink Manufacturer | Inkjet Ink Supplier | Inkjet Ink Exporter | Inkjet Ink Factory | sublimation ink manufacturer | CISS Refill Ink | Refilling ink for CISS System | Pigment Textile Printing | dye ink supplier | pigment ink manufacturer | sublimation ink supplier .

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.